Random Lockups Anyone?

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 08:10:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Lorenzo Villani sent out 2.0K bytes to say:
> Same problem here, same graphic driver and same adapter. I heard this is an
> intel driver issue (lockups magically disappeared after the switch to the 'vesa'
> driver - ouch! - on my laptop).

I've switched to vesa as well.

It's the only thing that prevents the lockups for me. But I'm crying
because all the nice eye candy is missing.

Xorg -configure :1 && sed 's/intel/vesa/' xorg.conf.new >
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

is the simplest way to switch :P.

If you are still facing lockups, I suggest you guys be very very
careful. It seems like every open file gets some sort of corruption with
the kernel panic. I lost a (nearly everything) on my /home partition
thanks to this, and various config files (most commonly akregator's
config file) kept vanishing. Take a backup of your .kde folder (and
everything else that matters) NOW.

If this makes any sense to you:
I've noticed that it is slightly safer to press power button once, allow
the kernel to panic, then hold power button again for n secs (to
poweroff), instead of just holding power button.

Trust me, a message telling you that you need to run fsck on your /home
is not funny.
--
Tejas Dinkar
http://gja.in