woes with the upgrade to qt 4.5

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Tue Feb 24 11:29:25 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 19:05:02 José Matos wrote:
> # lspci | grep ATI
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M24 1P [Radeon
> Mobility X600]
>
> The driver is radeon.
>
> I sent a message to the list last week when we had the transition in
> rawhide with the exact same problems for my testing machine.
>
> In that case a fresh .kde solved the problem. Notice that the testing
> machine has a SIS embedded card, using the sis driver. And also in the case
> the problem was just with the fonts... :-(

I was using full hinting with anti-aliased fonts. Turning off the hinting
style solved the problem with fonts.

The reason why it was not enough to change .kde is that systemsettings write
in configuration files outside of ~/.kde like ~/.font*

That also explains why I had this problem in other graphic card as I usual
turn on hinting.

Argh... this was hard to catch. :-)

--
José Abílio