Icons missing in system tray

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Wed Feb 25 13:42:03 UTC 2009

In case anybody else runs across this.

KDE 4.2 from rawhide.

For the longest time all of the icons except ksynaptic's would be
invisible in my system tray on my laptop. You could click on where the
icons were supposed to be, or hover over them to see tooltips, but the
icon itself was invisible. The odd thing was that my machine at work
(also rawhide) did not have this problem.

At first I thought it might be an nvidia issue (both laptop and work
machine use the nvidia drivers) but I was also having overheating issues
with the laptop so I borrowed another Dell laptop while mine was being
repaired. Just put the hard drive in this newer Dell with an intel video
card and the problem persisted.

This morning I updated kdelibs and noticed that /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh
was created as /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh.rpmnew which meant I had modified
/etc/profile.d/kde4.sh . I had added export KDE_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 a
while back and this was the cause of the problems. Removed export
KDE_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 and logged back in again and now all icons
appear in the systray. :-)