PowerDevil is unable to power off the screen

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Jan 3 01:40:36 UTC 2009

Ahmed Kamal wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm on 4.2 beta2, and my problem is that my laptop's LCD never powers off
> ! It goes black, but the backlight is always on. I have removed
> kpowersave, which I used to use previously, and now using powerdevil. It
> simply doesn't turn off. The VGA card is nVidia, and `xset q` returns
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> Using, `xset dpms force off` does power off correctly. In fact, using
> qdbus org.kde.powerdevilsystem /modules/powerdevil
> org.kde.PowerDevil.turnOffScreen
> also does power off correctly. So powerdevil is able to power off the
> screen if it wants to .. then why is it not doing that ?! How do I even
> start debugging this .. It is very annoying, as it's burning off hours
> from the LCD's lifetime. Any tips are welcome

Nod, powerdevil has issues, and growing pains (ie, it doesn't go to sleep on laptop lid close, for example, for me).

I'd be gently surprised if upstream weren't already aware, but please do file bugs for issues such as these (or at least look to see if it's already been reported) @ bugs.kde.org.

-- Rex