Could/should the new nvidia driver be added to the release candidate live release ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:15:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 13:38 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > There has been a lot of discussion about how various KDE components
> > utilize special graphics routines/modes available on certain video cards
> > and that the drivers for certain cards have bugs in them that don't
> > allow said KDE components to run properly.
> >
> > I am wondering if the release candidates shouldn't have the latest and
> > greatest nvidia drivers installed on them so that a) the KDE components
> > get tested as they were intended to run and b) the nvidia drivers get
> > tested too.
> >
> > Please discuss.
>
> As I understand things, doing as you suggest would make it an
> nvidia-only live image (ie, won't work for non-nvidia users).  I'm
> personally not all that interested in making such a beast, but I
> wouldn't be against *someone else* working on it.

I'm not sure if it would make it an nvidia only release or not.  The set
of packages on the image would have to include kmod-nvidia and its
dependencies, but a) does the kernel load that if its not needed and b)
would that preclude other video cards from operating properly ?

The other thing is that what happens to the org.config file ? Does it
need to be tailored to run to KDE's requirements ?

There was a lot of user frustration that prior versions of KDE didn't
work properly because of issues attributed to nvidia.  I think its our
responsibility to test/work this out in the release candidate and make
sure that things do work properly now.

Comments ?