Preparing live images for F11 Alpha

Sebastian Vahl deadbabylon at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:33:51 UTC 2009

Hi.

First I have to apologize for being away so long. But in the next two
weeks I'll have my final exams on university and so I'm quite busy atm.

However. The live images for the alpha of F11 have to be prepared soon.
And so I'm writing down my problems and issues with my latest test:

1. Size - the neverending story.
Due to the inclusion of scim-* and m17n-* in the main configs, the
images are oversized again. I've removed amarok (~13 megs) and kdegames
(~35 megs) as the biggest packages. Also some smaller addons like
konq-plugins, kipi-plugins, kftpgrabber, digikam, pavucontrol,
kdeedu-kstart and twinkle were removed (but present on the F10 live
images)

With these removals the sizes of the images are 690 (i686) and 694
(x86_64).

Packagelist for x86_64:
http://www.deadbabylon.de/fedora/livecd/packagelists/f11/F11-KDE-013-x86_64.txt

Packagelist for x86_64 sorted by size:
http://www.deadbabylon.de/fedora/livecd/packagelists/f11/size-F11-KDE-013-x86_64.txt

I'm not satisfied with these removals (esp. amarok and kdegames) but I
don't know how to free the needed space.

2. Akonadi and Nepomuk
Both services are automatically started on login and both are showing
this with info boxes. The startup would be nicer if these infos are
supressed.

3. Background
ATM there is only a blue-colored background.

I'm open for any suggestions, esp. for the package list.

Sebastian