Autostarting unwanted gnome applets

freeslkr freeslkr.wl6x at mailnull.com
Wed Jan 21 05:41:45 UTC 2009

>> I'm running the latest KDE from kde-testing:
>> kdebase-4.1.96-1.fc10.x86_64, etc
>>
>> I notice that every time I restart my desktop nm-applet and
>> guidance-power-manager restart.  I'm also running the kdenetwork applet and
>> the battery manager plasmoid, and don't think I need these gnome applets,
>> but I can't figure out how to get rid of them.  I can quit them, but they
>> always restart.
>>
>> There are no entries in ~/.kde/Autostart, nor are there any listings in
>> the "Autostart" portion of systemsettings.  Session management seems to be
>> working in general, in that normal applications are restarted if and only
>> if they were running when I logged out last.  But these two applets seem
>> impossible to kill.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that I don't need them, and if so, how do I keep them
>> from starting (short of removing them from my system altogether?).

> Gnome autostart apps are in /etc/xdg/autostart.

Right. The autostarting situation is currently a mess. The preference
managers in KDE and GNOME both do the wrong thing. To fix it, copy
gnome-power-manager.desktop and nm-applet.desktop (and whatever else
you want to stop from autostarting in KDE) from /etc/xdg/autostart/
to ~/.config/autostart/. Then append the line "NotShowIn=KDE;" to
each file.

See http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html
for an explanation of how this is supposed to work.