KMail part-fixed, knetworkmanager broken

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:39:09 UTC 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 18:14:51 Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 12:41:50 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Kevin & Claude - I can't find what's wrong.  It worked perfectly before
> > the update.  Now the cog spins and the tiny progress bar sits at halfway,
> > then it disappears.  I tried deleting the connection and creating a new
> > one.  It immediately offered me my network, accepted my key, but then the
> > same thing happened when I tried to connect.
> >
> > Kevin - could wpa be affected?
>
> I'm not Kevin, and I'm not offering a "mine works so what's wrong with
> you?" comment - just noting that for me it is working. Here's my info:
>
> rpm -qa | grep network
> ..........snip irrelevant.......
> kdenetwork-4.2.0-1.fc10.i386
> kdenetwork-libs-4.2.0-1.fc10.i386
> [cj at cjasus ~]$ rpm -qa | grep wpa
> wpa_supplicant-0.6.4-2.fc10.i386

I'm using the same versions.

> I mentioned earlier I had a Broadcom 4306, but that's wrong -that's on my
> other laptop: on this machine the chip is:
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN
> Network Connection (rev 61)
>
> Hope this helps. Did you do a full reboot? I'm finding as time goes on,
> that the old "you never have to reboot linux" maxim is fading; of course
> you had to for new kernels, but, there seem to be more and more issues that
> can be quickly cured by reboots - there's probably workarounds and commands
> that can substitute for most, but, sometimes, it's just dirty and quicker.
>
> I guess you're down to sleuthing if all else fails - maybe 'network' got
> turned on? You're sure the network is up? Reboot the router? The usual
> suspects...

I didn't do a complete reboot - I tend to only do that for kernels - but I
have now.  Now, when I click on the network icon, my network is not listed.
If I click on the icon and select Connect to Other Network it offers me my own
network, but follows it up with a message "KNetworkManager Wireless Network
Disappeared".  'iwlist wlan0 scanning' tells me that there are no scan
results.

I know the router is behaving itself, as this laptop is using the same
wireless connection.  Basically, knetworkmanager seems to now be behaving the
same way as NetworkManager-gnome :-(