Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Andrew Parker gbofspam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 20:47:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Anne Wilson
<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> IMO Fedora made one mistake - a bad one, but only one.  They did not shout
> loud enough that you should stick with F8 unless the Live CD convinced you
> that you could live with 4.0, new as it was.

Do we have any idea how long people run the Live CDs before they
decide to install?  Do people just download it, find that it supports
their hardware enough and then install it? Personally I find them too
slow to give them a thorough going over with, particularly if there is
a whole new DE to play with.  Stability and absence of features can
take a while to materialise, especially if hunting for features takes
forever.

FWIW, I think Fedora was caught between a rock and a hard place.
Going to 4.0 was a mistake for many users; staying at 3.5 would have
been a mistake for the Fedora project; and we didn't have the
resources to make both available.  er... I guess that would have to be
a rock, a hard place, and somehwere else bad.