Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sun Jan 25 22:32:31 UTC 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 17:07:54 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> In fact, most of the time I'm using applications - kmail, knode, Firefox -
> and I just want to get to them as simply and quickly as possible.
> I realize this is sacrilege, but I actually think
> Windows XP is much better organized from this point of view.
> except for the multiple desktop idea, which I find great.

You're entitled to think whatever you want. I don't consider your comment
sacrilegious, but I personally find it nonsensical. I boot up, login, I get a
desktop. I have single-click access to Firefox, Kmail, and Knode because I've
created icons for those in my panel/taskbar... I run XP all over the place. To
accomplish the above in XP, I do exactly the same, except I get Windows
Express, or Outlook for mail apps - If I want to read newsgroups, I have to
open Outlook Express, which I don't otherwise use; I think Outlook is an awful
mail client compared to Kmail, and Outlook Express is an insignificant toy -
neither can even do proper mail threading. Firefox is the same in Windows and
Linux, essentially --- what are you doing in XP that makes you conclude it's
easier? You name three apps - in either OS, I login and can get single click
access to the apps you named, or their equivalents - what's easier, or "better
organized" as you put it, about XP?

Curious minds would like to know...
--
Claude Jones