Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 26 17:20:58 UTC 2009

Quoting Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

> On Monday 26 January 2009 05:12:34 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>> On Monday 26 January 2009 06:18:14 Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> > Someone has to take the pain of the new tech. At this point in the
>> > life of GNU/Linux, Fedora is that place. The Fedora leaders need to
>> > either embrace this or not, and educate users accordingly.
>>
>> Yes... this is true. It's one of the main reason that I'm using Fedora.
>> However, new tech shouldn't mean premature tech. It should get past the
>> development stage KDE 4.0, Xorg 1.5 BETA (Fedora), RPM 4.6.0 RC3 (Fedora
>> 10). There are probably other packages that I'm not aware of that fit into
>> this category.
>>
>> Again. Bleeding Edge STABLE Good. Just plain bleeding... bad... very bad.
>>
> Eli, how does it get there without really side testing on thousands of
> different hardware setups?  Linux generally is a coooperative venture.  It
> needs input from its users.  One attraction of using a bleeding edge distro
> like Fedora is so that we can influence development.  I use more stable
> distros where I need to.
>
> Anne

Anne. I use Fedora because it started off as free Redhat. And this is the prime reason I'm using Fedora. There are other important secondary reasons, but that one is the prime reason. I've tried a bunch of distros, but I've always stuck with Redhat based stuff. Why? Because... despite what ever flakiness should pop in regarding what ever program, script etc.... The core stuff just worked. Core backends were always stable. Its the best way to build things (on top of stable backends). I'm not a developer. Regular users aren't developers. And distros shouldn't expect their users to be developers. Getting stuff tested and stable is the job of developers. Like I said in a previous post. It would not be a bad idea to have a Fedora-Dev spin. If a user has the resources (hardware and time) then they would use that and help test stuff. If not then, people like me would continue using the stable stuff.

Now... here's the catch. If Fedora labels as final releases that incorporates unstable core backends. And Redhat, which depends on Fedora for alot of its core development releases stuff based on that, then what would lead me to believe that  Redhat Enterprise and consequently Centos which would be the distro that I would be using which is based on Redhat Enterprise is using stable stuff.

I'm a user not a developer. My server (gateway, mail, web, dns) is running Fedora. My Desktop is running Fedora, My multimedia computer is running Fedora. So... up until now... the reputation of Redhat, great hardware support that just works, stable leading edge backends that contains the latest greatest features. And wealth of software supported by either Fedora or other third parties such as rpmfusion, ATRpms, etc. These are the reasons I use Fedora.

But please don't wreck Fedora for us users by turning it into a playground reserved only for developers.

Eli

believed to be clean.