Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 26 20:08:08 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 19:43:17 Gar wrote:

> So what would lead you to believe that RHEL is more stable than Fedora is
> that RHEL is based on much older versions of Fedora. Isn't RHEL5 based on
> Fedora6? (not sure about that) I'm not going to use anything with a 6 month
> change cycle at work, but that same cycle is great for home.

Actually, what you're saying is not 100% true. If you would notice that major
RHEL follow Fedora pretty closely. Pay attention. RHEL 6 will follow slightly
on the heals of Fedora 12, that is if I remember the RHEL release cycle
correctly. And one of things that you will notice that RHEL will have
incorporated all the major innovations in current version of Fedora up to that
point.

> I think that's the tradeoff you have to look at. Both use the same
> underlying file system, so lessons and techniques learned on one apply to
> the other (to a large degree). If you want really cool stuff, that almost
> certainly will still have a few rough edges, than Fedora is awesome. If you
> feel stability is your most important measurement criteria, then Redhat
> Enterprise, or one of the copies would appear to be a much better fit.

Again... I would say up to a point. Most people would acknowledge almost all
software has bugs. People are finding bugs and vulnerabilities all the time in
the most venerable of software and as such patches are applied. Whether the
version is older or newer. The newer stuff would have the same old bugs plus
added ones with the changes incorporated in newer versions.

However.... Xorg 1.5 BETA. common. RPM RC3 are you guys serious. What I expect
is that when a distro declares a stable release that the software has been
tested enough to satisfaction of the developers to release a "stable" version.
If it ain't stable it ain't stable. And if you incorporate unstable core
backends like Xorg or RPM then the distro is certainly not "stable".

Like I said... Bleeding Edge good. Just plain bleeding very bad. :).

Eli

believed to be clean.