Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Clive Messer clive at vacuumtube.org.uk
Wed Jan 28 22:26:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 18:24 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Clive Messer wrote:
> > All of these things in the overall scheme of things are minor,
> > but I expect them to just work, whatever desktop environment I use.
>
> The 4.2.0 update isn't stable yet for a reason. Heck, it isn't even in the
> official updates-testing yet. Making everything work takes time.

Fair enough, it takes time to make things work. But it's nearly a year
now since KDE 4.0 was released? ;-)

Also, I was under the impression that KDE 4.2 was released yesterday,
that the kde-redhat rpms are built using that code base and that KDE 4.2
is a 'stable' release? (Although quite what constitutes a stable
upstream KDE release is lost on me these days.) Unless the 'bugs' are
caused by the way the release is being packaged for Fedora, I'm not
really sure I understand your, "making it work takes time", comment.

> We're indeed working on the Bluetooth issue which is a 4.2 regression.

The work is appreciated. Keep at it. Hopefully by a 4.3 release the
desktop will be feature complete and "just working".

> For the other stuff, was that already broken in 4.1? Our biggest priority is
> for our 4.2.0 update not to break things which worked. But of course having
> stuff still unfixed also sucks.

With any degree of certainty, I cannot say. I'll try again when KDE 4.2
is in Fedora stable and bz any remaining problems.

Regards

Clive
--
Clive Messer <clive at vacuumtube.org.uk>