What do we use ~/Public for?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:15:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> I'm guessing that this is a desktop question as opposed to a devel
>> question, but I'm not on the -desktop list and here seems like the
>> next best place...
>>
>> What exactly is ~/Public being used for? A regular user may thing that
>> places files there makes them... public.
>
> AFAIK there's some code in GNOME which shares those files. KDE 4 doesn't
> support it. KDE 3 had some sort of user file sharing (disabled by default
> and had to be manually configured), but it never got ported to KDE 4.
>
>        Kevin Kofler

Okay. I'll browse through the existing fedora repository and
kde-apps.org to see if there is anything to make use of it. Also, a
user I was helping last night wanted a locally shared (filesystem,
between users) folder... seems like it's something that should be
easy. It was easy for me, but I am not sure how a regular user would
approach the problem.

It may be useful to have a /usr/shared (or similar) and ln -s
/usr/shared /home/*/Desktop/Shared

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )