What do we use ~/Public for?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 22:24:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> Also, a user I was helping last night wanted a locally shared (filesystem,
>> between users) folder...
>
> That's what /tmp is. :-)
>
> That said, it's a bad thing to store stuff there because it can get cleared
> out automatically. But as a transfering mechanism it's OK, just not as a
> storage mechanism.

If you're referring to /tmp, I found that out myself the hard way.

Same user I was helping was interested in a way of sharing files
locally. So having a "supported" minimal solution to share files may
be useful. Samba seems a bit heavy handed for that. And NFS only works
with MacOS and Linux easily. Although last time I tried it with MacOS
it wasn't very intuitive.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )