hp-setup doesn't run

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:21:27 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009 11:04:31 Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > That's normal when it needs SU mode, of course.  Yes, it would be useful
> > to either ask for the password or tell you what's wrong.
>
> But as I said, the result is actually the same
My mistake - Imis-read what you said there.

> if I run system-config-printer as root.
> I am told I am not authorized to change the Media Size (from letter to A4).
> In fact it is worse if I run as root,
> since I cannot leave the program - I have to kill it from another console.
>
> > Doesn't launching hp-setup from a root terminal work?
>
> As far as I can see, hp-setup only allows me to install a second printer,
> not to modify an existing one.

hp-setup should detect the existing printer.  It works in conjunction with
cups.

> I should perhaps have made clear that the CUPS web interface
> does allow me to change the media size;
> my remarks were only addressed at system-config-printer.

Personally I'm not happy about mixing s-c-p and hp-setup.  I'd use hp-setup if
I was setting up (or configuring) an hp device for which I want/need the extra
features.  I'd use s-c-p otherwise.

> Incidentally, I was trying to discover where the page size (letter or A4)
> is stored on the computer.
> I couldn't find any mention of it in /etc/cups, /var/spool/cups
> or /var/run/cups .

I wouldn't expect it to be there.  It would be specific to the print queue,
surely?  Try looking at /var/cache/cups/devicename.ipp