Fresh Fedora/KDE 4.2, NetworkManager

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 04:27:26 UTC 2009

Hey guys.  I did a fresh install of Fedora using the
updates-repository enabled, so it pulled down KDE 4.2.  I disabled
GNOME in the setup and clicked the KDE environment instead.  (Still
grabbed some GNOME stuff, but I'm cool with that).

I've tried using the system the past few days...and...um...there's no
NetworkManager in the tray.

And I don't have network access, even though I'm plugged into wired
ethernet.  On the Process List, nm-applet is running.

I can do "killall nm-applet" and then re-launch it, and when I do, I
see the KDE 4.2 tray flicker and expand, but then it shrinks back down
as if nothing happened.  The NetworkManager tray applet never pops up
down there.

Have I done something wrong?  I know that Fedora's KDE4 still
currently uses the GTK NetworkManager applet, but I thought that it
would just work.  By turning off GNOME, did I leave out some essential
package or something?