much of KDE freezes for 20 seconds (includes strace output)

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Tue Mar 31 18:23:40 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 18:57:18 Hans Ecke wrote:
> FWIW, I seriously doubt its a graphics card issue. Or a hardware issue
> in general.

Sure the problem is not the graphics card the problem is the driver. I had
experience with similar cards and I had the same problems. The solution was to
follow some hints given on userbase (http://userbase.kde.org/).

FWIW it was not one of my machines but one where my advice was requested and
the only indication from me as "no nvidia, please". For several reasons the
only option was a machine with the nvidia card and as I feared problems like
that appeared. :-(

Believe me the culprit is the proprietary driver. The interface to pass
options to the driver is awkward, sometimes it almost looks like they have
tried their best to do their worse. :-)
--
José Abílio