Dolphin "cd"s in konsole history are annoying. Split consoles for split views ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 15:47:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:58 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 10:00 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > However, it might be me, but I don't want to see the Dolphin cds in
> > the console history.  The only commands that I want to see in the
> > console history are the ones that I enter myself manually.  If I want
> > to note what directory I am working in in the console history, I'll
> > issue a pwd command.
>
> The console is just running a Shell, so there may be a way to
> approximate what you want -- such as ignoring "cd" commands -- using
> HISTCONTROL and HISTIGNORE environment variables (see bash(1)). However
> these would apply to all your Shell sessions and AFAIK there's no way to
> distinguish between manually and programatically entered input.

One way to handle this might be to "open" a new console (transparently)
in a different directory every time that Dolphin does a dir change.
That way a cd is never issued in the console.

Another way would be to add a switch to cd/bash such that it doesn't log
in history.

Another way would be to add a sync checkbox to top of the console pane
such that one could surf around in Dolphin and then check sync at which
time console would cd to where Dolphin is and cd whenever Dolphin does.
One could then unsync whenever one wanted to keep the console in one
place and Dolphin in another.  This would be a really nice enhancement
too, especially if Dolphin stored the state of the sync setting in
between sessions.  Ie start unsynced for general browsing and then let
the use sync up when s/he wants.

So many ways to make this super application even more versatile.

LG