kde-sig voice conference call for tomorrow's sig meeting

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 04:01:14 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> As an experiment, thought it would an interesting experiment to take
>> advantage of fedora talk,
>> http://talk.fedoraproject.org/
>> as part of our kde sig meeting tomorrow,
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/2009-11-03
>
> I think that's just useless. IRC is working just fine, it allows
> participating from everywhere (whereas voice requires a room which is both
> quiet enough to talk undisturbed and noise-tolerant enough to allow talking,
> such rooms are hard to come by in office environments like my university),
> it allows for easy logging and it doesn't require a microphone. And the
> "higher bandwidth" of voice communication is quite nonexistent if somebody
> has to type up everything to IRC and read back everything from IRC, in fact
> I think that'll kill communication entirely, so it doesn't make sense to use
> both. (And I'm not even sure I can really talk faster than I can type. I
> don't stutter when typing. ;-) )
IRC also supports multithreaded conversations. Granted, the onus is shifted off
to the users, but picking threads out of text is easier than out of an audio
stream.

> I don't even have a microphone for my main desktop at the moment; as for my
> laptop, its builtin microphone might also suck for VoIP, and having to shout
> into it and getting the laptop to shout back from its speakers will also
> worsen the "appropriate room" problem, so an external headset might be
> needed for effective VoIP use there. As for participating with a regular
> phone, a 1-hour phonecall to a foreign country (the US or UK) is going to be
> a big money sink (and I can't do it from the university phones, they're
> locked for calls to foreign countries), so that's not really a viable
> option, I'm afraid.
Same here.

> I'll be at the university during the meeting tomorrow, I don't think I'll be
> able to join over VoIP. People won't like me talking to my laptop. ;-)
And yet people walking around talking to bugs in their ears that you may not be
able to see is perfectly acceptable. ;)

>         Kevin Kofler

- --Ben