Small user survey: More modularized KDE packages?

Eric Springer erikina at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 02:02:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Sonic <get.sonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> But this could also lead to confusions from the users part who'd have to
> install lot of separate packages to complete a functionality.

I was more thinking along the lines of separate applications, like
installing kolourpaint4 on a gnome system is quite desirable, but you
don't want to get the whole kdegraphics. Or in my case, I only want
one (ksudoku) of the couple dozen games. And the only kdedu program I
want is parley.

I like the way amarok and marble works. One app per package.

> I remember a friend of mine installing qt-devel and finding no
> documentation. It was a surprise for him to learn that qt-doc was a
> separate package.

I had the same surprise too, but I'm glad I don't need to download a
100M docs to just build some stuff.