KDE Fonts on HDMI out

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:03:29 UTC 2009

I have an odd problem.  I'm using KDE as my "desktop" for my media
center computer, running Fedora 11 x86_64 and the latest KDE version
(4.3.3?) on an nVidia 9600GT using the nVidia 190.42 driver.  When the
computer is connected to the TV via the D-Sub (standard VGA) out,
everything looks fine, but when it is plugged in through HDMI, the
fonts in KDE are enormous.  Both outputs are set at 1920x1080.  I can
rescale the fonts in KDE (to something like 4pt from the normal 10pt)
to make them look reasonable, but even then, some of the KDE apps are
confused and appear as though they still have huge fonts (and so often
scale off the screen) even though the fonts are small.

Where should I start looking?

George