Update concern

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 2 18:06:35 UTC 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009 09:36:54 David Timms wrote:
> On 10/02/2009 05:05 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > This morning I set my netbook to update, then walked away, leaving it
> > working. When I came back I found that it was complete, but then:
> >
> > kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
> > <unknown program name>(29971)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId:
> > creating:  "AA1;1254466478;647275;29971_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
> > kbuildsycoca4 running...
>
> Is that during a boot or trying to start a specific app ?

There was nothing running, I thought, except the update.  However...

> I notice that each firefox update leaves an already running firefox in
> an almost working state, but generally where new windows are drawn as
> tin 20x5 pixel boxes. It then hits me that I have to restart firefox.
>
> Maybe the same thing needs to be done on your machine, although if a
> central library of kde was updated, maybe you need log out/in ?

This was on the netbook, and it had been left on all night.  I've been out all
day, and a few minutes ago, tried to start firefox.  As you guessed, it was
still running, somewhere invisible.  It's very strange that I get this
frequently on this netbook, as well as runaway nspluginviewer.  Someone told
me that nspluginviewer is no longer needed, so I removed it, but it came back,
presumably with the next update.

> If that doesn't help, less/tail /var/log/yum.log to give us an idea of
> what changed, and whether you restarted ?

If I see it again, I'll do that.  Time constraints stopped me investigating
today.  I just killed it before going out.  Come to think of it, if firefox was
still running when I got back, presumably I hadn't killed ff - which  leaves me
as much in the dark as ever.

As for the firefox thing, it's odd that it happens all the time on this
netbook, yet not on my main laptop, when they run the same versions from the
same repos.