KOffice downgrade?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:26:52 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 04:31:10 Ryan Rix wrote:
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > they
> > are still strongly against shipping in stable distro.
>
> Here are my two cents on this issue and are, in general mostly invalid
> because I am quite frankly unable to use koffice2 on my netbook because it
> doesn't really 'play nice' on such a small screen.
>
> Freedom, Friends, Features, First.
>
> These are the project's foundations[1] and we should be striving to keep
> with these goals at all time. Of course, both 'sides' of this debate could
> take those goals and use them for their arguments.
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
>
> ==Features==
> "Features represents our commitment to excellence. The Fedora community
> creates many of the technical features that have made Linux powerful,
> flexible, and usable for a wide spectrum of  millions of users,
> administrators, and developers worldwide. We recognize the status quo is
> worth changing when the potential gain is to empower additional end-users,
> or create a more flexible and powerful environment for building new
> solutions on the free software we provide. We also believe that these
> changes are best developed in direct concert with the  upstream software
> communities whose work is part of the Fedora distribution. We work with the
> upstream in cases where we find opportunities for improvement, so all free
> software users benefit -- regardless of their distribution of choice. Our
> feature development is always done openly and transparently, and anyone may
> participate."
>
> ===Key points to take away===
> *"We recognize the status quo is worth changing when the potential is to
> empower additional end-users, or create a more flexible and powerful
> environment"
> *"We also believe that these changes are best developed in direct concert
> with upstream software communities"
>
> ===Questions to ask===
> *Will koffice2 create a more flexible and powerful environment?
> **Koffice2.1b has a ton of new features and a framework for the future of
> the application. It's more customisable and flexible already than 1.6 was
>  if not as stable.
>
> *Will shipping koffice1.6 create a more flexible and powerful environment?
> **We are shipping Qt3 and kdelibs3 if we chose to do this. This means there
> is less room on our live cd for awesome applications. This makes it harder
> for users who may not have the ability to install new software (no/slow
> internet, etc)
>
> *What will be better in the long run for upstream: Keeping the status quo
>  to lower the risk of creating a bad image, or work with them to provide
>  bug reports, fixes and feedback?
> **This is for the steering committee to decide (even though it already has;
> i guess I should have written this last week) We were one of the few
>  distros that shipped kde 4.0.2 for better or worse, along with OpenSuSE
> [...]
My £0.02 (and I wouldn't be surprised to find that Fefora folk are already
thinking this way) - forget KOffice on the live CD.  Keep KOffice 1.6 easily
available on the repos.  Keep KOffice 2 on the unstable repos so that those of
us with the interest in helping its development can use it.  That should give
us the best of both worlds, IMO.