K3B 1.68 and EasyRPM

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Oct 25 22:10:56 UTC 2009

Diego wrote:
> On another unrelated note, if you haven't noticed yet there's a new Qt
> 4.x tool to ease the process of creating rpm specs:
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/EasyRPM?content=114271
> Hope it helps! :)

Uh, no, that really doesn't help. Don't touch this even with a 10-foot pole!
* This is just a form which makes you fill in the .spec sections. I don't
see how that makes things any easier than filling them in directly in the
specfile. You still have to type in all your file lists by hand.
* The form is missing several important specfile sections, such as %post and
%postun scriptlets. There doesn't even seem to be support for subpackages!
* Like most other specfile generators, it won't generate specfiles which are
compliant to our guidelines. For example, License is a dropdown, you can't
type in a compliant License tag and those it offers are not compliant ("GPL
v2" with a space is not allowed, you have to write "GPLv2", or "GPLv2+" if
that's what it actually is). It also wants to fill in Distribution in the
specfile which is also not allowed by our guidelines (the build system fills
it in). And the example in the screenshot uses hardcoded paths like /usr/bin
instead of macros like %{_bindir}.
* The tool offers you to run rpmbuild directly, and only that. No mock. Also
no rpmlint or anything like that.
* Its own RPM gets rpmlint complaints according to the comments on kde-
apps.org, which says about all about the quality of the specfiles it
generates.

Packaging is NOT easy, don't trust tools which claim to make it easy!

        Kevin Kofler