How to delete/map Activities?

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 22:27:33 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I don't have too many plasmoids

I observe that plasmoids mostly just duplicate
applications, and I prefer the full-fledged apps with
all of the bells and whistles, as opposed to scaled-
down plasmoidal apps. Also, you have to minimize or
clear away everything from the desktop to use a
plasmoid, so you might as well just use the real thing
in a window.

I do, however, like the weather report, a calculator,
a notepad and an rss aggregator (mostly for scanning
headlines, but generally I then move to google reader
to do serious reading) on the desktop.

After reading an article about the future of the
desktop, I tried removing the panel entirely and
putting all of the functions - time, s-tasks, sys-
tray, kmenu - on the desk as plasmoids, but, firstly,
it was not functional, as I had to constantly rotate
to the virtual desktop with those plasmoids, and
secondly, having quite a number of plasmoids really
does not make for an aesthetically pleasing desktop,
as it looks like a messy jumble (I always hated
shortcut icons on the desktop, and this appears much
the same). If they were all standard sizes, it would
be easier to arrange them to make it look classy.
Plasmoids have a limited value, primarily for system
functions, but you don't see people showing off
screenshots of their beautiful desktops since the
advent of the plasmoid.

Luckily, I have Intel graphics on both computers and
don't have to disable anything to watch video. Intel
rocks, these days, after a very rough 18 months that
ended when I moved to f12α in late August.

Firefox problems? Luckily, none here at all, but I use
the desktop 99% of the time, so the laptop is just for
the bedroom, and I rarely use a computer in bed, re:
proper sleep hygiene ;-)