Can't get Firefox to act as default browser

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 5 14:24:55 UTC 2009

On Saturday 05 September 2009 14:19:00 John Pilkington wrote:
> > In the systemsettings dialogue, setting the browser to '/usr/bin/firefox'
> > works for me.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Yes, thanks.  That does appear to have done the trick; I've selected
> /usr/bin/thunderbird as email client there too - ie, in Settings >
> System Settings > Default Applications.
>
> I notice that the Settings > Preferred Applications window, if activated
> twice, is labelled 'Gnome-default-applications-properties' and so could
> well be inappropriate, but it does seem a pity that so many apparently
> but not functionally equivalent procedures coexist.

Gnome and KDE applications/procedures?  There has been the beginning of talks
between the desktops about interactivity, but it's not going to happen
overnight.  The recent joint conference in Gran Canaria helped get a few idea
started, and maybe next time we have a joint conference (maybe 2011?)
hopefully more progress will be made.