How to use strigi

Sonic get.sonic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 11:39:56 UTC 2009

On 09/06/2009 02:46 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I don't believe it is possible to use strigi without nepomuk running.  Why do
> you not want to use it?

I don't know if having Nepomuk takes up system resources. I'm not an
expert on the several backends that Strigi/nepomuk apparently supports
or their relative performance impacts.
Frankly, I find the 'rate your files' feature quite pointless, unless
it's for some specific application (a music/photo management app, for
example). I think it'd be safe to assume that more users would want to
search & locate their files than 'rate' them.

So, is Strigi a product/feature on it's own or is it a minion of
Nepomuk-KDE?

Syam