.desktop integration for command line app

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 25 14:38:36 UTC 2009

On 09/25/2009 12:54 PM, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> There are service menus you can add to handle specific filetypes
> (and execute commands). A KIO slave could do something similar
> as well, but it's a little more involved. If you really want it
> /in/ KDE, code for Ark to open such files would be best.
The term "service menus" drew me toward an answer , however, after
realizing that the info found was for kde3/konquerer [1], then finding
kde4/konquerer, kde3/dolphin, kde3d3lphin, kde4dolphin differing paths,
and differing .desktop file contents required, I have exhausted my
patience. Eg: [2]

Let's say I create a file called tnefextract.desktop containing:
[Desktop Entry]

[Desktop Action tnefExtractToSubfolder]
Name=extract TNEF archive
Exec=tnef.sh %f
and place that in:
along with two other .desktop files, and they seem to have the same
format as the above.

What else is required (on Fedora) to actually make the association work ?

[1] http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/servicemenus.html
[2] http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3088743.0