Mouse button menu

Lester M Petrie petrielmjr at ornl.gov
Fri Apr 9 13:28:57 UTC 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010 20:53:17 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Lester M Petrie wrote:
> > I have just discovered that by left clicking on the background, and
> > selecting "Desktop Activity Settings", I can enable
> > an "Application Launcher" menu by clicking on the background with the
> > selected mouse button.
>
> You can also get this menu by right-clicking on the default "Kickoff" menu
> and selecting "Switch to Classic menu style".

OK, I use 'Classic Menu" already.  I'm an old foggy that way.  I just edited the menu yesterday, and this morning that
change is in the popup menu.  So my problem is different than finding the menu.  I have arranged the menu(s) in the
editor to display in the order I want them.  This works fine when clicking on the Application Button in the task bar.  I
also have an Application Launcher widget on the desktop which displays the menu as I have arranged it.  This was
my work around for not being able to popup a menu with the mouse button.  But now the menu that pops up with the
mouse button is displayed in a different arrangement.  The problem this causes me is that I have a submenu of
remote machines that I can ssh to, opening a new konsole window for the connection.  I have edited those to be in
alphabetical order so that I can find the one I want quickly (they are named xnode1 - xnode61), but when I open that
submenu in the popup, they are arranged in some scattered order.  Perhaps this is a bug in the display of the menu?  I
have edited the menu many times, and when I look at the xml, its very jumbled.  Is there a program that can read
whats there, and write a new file in the final order?  I have taken a try at doing this in an editor, but I keep ending up
with something that is unusable.

> > This was a feature from KDE 3 that I really missed when I transitioned to
> > KDE 4.  The application launcher menu looks rather like an old version
> > of my standard application launcher menu, with pieces missing, and lots
> > of rearrangement.  What is the menu displayed, and how can it be edited?
>
> It's the same menu as the Kickoff menu, just viewed in a more traditional
> way. It can be edited using right click / Menu Editor.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Lester M Petrie
Oak Ridge National Lab
865-574-5259