PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 09:01:47 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 10:47:12 Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 14.04.2010, 10:25 +0200 schrieb Jaroslav Reznik:
> > Hi Matthias.
> > We were discussing polkit agent reorganization @ our kde sig meeting -
> > cwickert joined us too [1].
> > Could you clarify autostart of the agent? I agree it should be task for
> > desktop as it's now core component and I don't see need for users to
> > change this configuration.
>
> I do. Xfce for example has no agent ATM, so users should be free to
> choose ether polkit-gnome or lxpolkit. This could be easily done it we
> allowed installing them individually. The choice which one is started
> could be easily done graphically in the session properties.

For desktops that ships own polkit agent you don't need this freedom. Actually
it's quite bad - own polkit agent is usually designed to be an integral part
of it. For now - polkit-kde is standalone package but it's for now before
transition from the old one to new one is done. Then we'd like to have it as
part of kdebase-workspace again and shipped together. Of course - situation
for other desktops could be different (Xfce etc.) and this has to be solved.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275