Needing help with display problems

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:07:34 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 11:14:42 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 April 2010 20:28:06 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > You need to find out the model of the graphics card, and use more
> > appropriate driver. Did you try the regular intel driver? What does
> >
> > Xorg -configure
> >
> > detect?
>
> Hmm - hadn't tried that  before - I tried setting it up with
> system-configure- display.

[snip]
> Section "Device"
[snip]
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> 	Driver      "intel"

This looks good. Backup the old xorg.conf (just to be sure), replace it with
this generated one, and restart X (or reboot). If X comes up, look at the
output of xrandr again. If not, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what went
wrong.

[snip]

> I haven't yet tried setting this as the xorg.conf, in case I need to do
> something else to load the Intel driver.

AFAIK, no, you don't need to do anything else, just replace xorg.conf and
restart X. Appropriate kernel modules and stuff should be loaded automatically.
If something goes wrong, a report should be in Xorg.0.log. If there are no
problems, xrandr should provide you with better resolution options and choose
the highest one by default.

HTH, :-)
Marko