Needing help with display problems

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 13:41:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Anne Wilson
<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, all I got was a black screen and a flashing caps lock :-(
>
> The log file is far too big to attach here.  I've uploaded it to
> http://www.lydgate.org/images/Temp/Xorg.0.log
>
> I'm no expert on reading these things, but it looks pretty depressing to me.

Umm, all I see there is a log of a working X session, using the vesa driver:

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[snip]
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[snip]
(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[snip]

I believe you uploaded the wrong log file. The Xorg.0.log file is for
the current running X session (if one is actually running), but there
is also the Xorg.0.log.old which is from the previous session. If your
machine froze during the X startup with the intel driver and you
couldn't access the current log file, after the reboot this will
become the .log.old file, because X has been restarted since. Of
course, this might be different if you boot into runlevel 3, or...

So I guess you want to try again, and get the right log. :-)

Or you missed to put the new xorg.conf in its proper place or
something... But I guess you did that right, if you see different
behaviour than usual.

Finally, given that it doesn't Just Work, and given that post from
Adam Jackson about the Ironlake chip, I am afraid there is not quite
much that can be done. Then again, the log might point to some rather
trivial problem, so it would be a waste not to find out.

:-)
Marko