Unable to automatically set time

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 02:41:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 21:14 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Fri April 16 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > netstat -A inet|grep :ntp
> >
> Nothing. Comes back to a blank prompt. :-(

I just tried your test and got the same result. I suspect it means that
the ntpd daemon is already running, which in my case it is, rather than
than that the port is actually busy. You can verify by doing:

pgrep -fl ntpd

Note that ntpdc can be used to query the running daemon (ntpdate is
deprecated and will eventually disappear). Try "ntpdc -p".

poc