kontact not working - missing files

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 21 14:32:09 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 13:12:37 you wrote:
> On Wednesday April 21 2010 15:00:18 you wrote:
> > Reply to All / Reply to List
> >
> > On Wednesday 21 April 2010 12:27:48 Dj YB wrote:
> > > hello,
> > > I have tried the pim-users list but got no solution.
> >
> > I haven't see this question on the kde-pim list - you asked how to remove
> > a Summary problem.  Was there another thread?
>
> it is the same problem, it seems like kontact hangs because of a specific
> summary view in the summary module, so far I have concluded it is the
> "special dates" view.
>
> > > when I start kontact the next files are reported missing and the
> > > program dies.
> > >
> > > ~/.kde/share/apps/kontact/local-todo.rc
> > > ~/.kde/share/apps/kontact/local-.rc
> > > ~/.kde/share/apps/kontact/default-.rc
> > >
> > > this has something to do with the summary module since it only started
> > > after choosing it, and now it is the default and I can't run kontact at
> > > all. this problem started after the update to 4.4.2
> >
> > That seems a very strange list of files -
> >
> > ls ~/.kde/share/apps/kontact/
> > default-akregator.rc
> > default-kaddressbook.rc
> > default-knode.rc
> > default-calendar.rc
> > default-kjots.rc
> > default-knotes.rc
> > default-journal.rc
> > default-kmail.rc
> > default-todo.rc
> >
> > I doubt if this is anything to do with your Summary problem.  I'd rename
> > all config files that refer to any of the kde-pim applications and let it
> > start a blank session.  If that works, pull back, one at a time, the
> > important config files.  Re-create rather than restore anything that's
> > reasonable quick to re- create.
> >
> > Anne
>
> thanks, kontact is working now only when the "special dates" summary view
> is disabled, and I can live with that since the data exists in the planner
> view anyway.

Interesting.  I've no idea what those 'special dates' are.  It's enabled on my
Summary view, and it says I don't have any for the next 7 days, while a whole
list of appointments are listed as uup-coming events.  I wonder if the
'special days' are taken from the holidays list - do you have a holidays
calendar configured?

If you'd like me to try to get more info about that plugin from the developers
I'm happy to try.

> I still have an error message when "calendar / do-dos list" views are
> enabled in the summary module when exiting:
> "unknown error (no transaction in progress)".
> I think this one is related to kabc though.

I don't think so.  I think it is an akonadi/mysql message, related to the fact
that the calendar resource is not really ported to akonadi.  We can register
it as a resource, but like the std.vcf resource, it isn't the 'full monty'.  I
filed a bug report (bugs.kde.org) on those messages a long time ago, just so
that the developers were aware that we were seeing them.  I suspect that,
because they are harmless, we should just ignore them untill 4.5 comes along.