nfs mount problem

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 23 12:52:12 UTC 2010

On Friday 23 April 2010 14:21:14 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Reply to All / Reply to List
>
> On Friday 23 April 2010 12:09:55 Ed Greshko wrote:
> > On 04/23/2010 07:04 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I mount a data directory on my server in fstab, using
> > >
> > > 192.168.0.40:/Data1 /mnt/server_Data1 nfs nosuid,exec,rw,bg,soft,intr 0
> > > 0
> > >
> > > I then display it in a folderview, and of course it's accessible in
> > > dolphin. I've been used to quickly opening files from the folderview,
> > > and editing them. However, on this F13 laptop I can't do that (nor from
> > > Dolphin).  It offers me read-only, saying I'm an unknown user.  The
> > > same files can be edited on the old laptop.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> > uid is different on your F13 system?
>
> No.  In konsole I can go to  /mnt/server_Data1 and list.  The owner of the
> files is anne:users, and 'whoami' says I'm anne.  Besides, I always make
> sure that I get the same UID and GID on all my systems ;-)
>
> Anne

Hi Anne

Ed is probably correct. UID and GID are not your name, they are numbers
attached to an alias for those numbers.

You will probably find that the numbers assosicated with your user in
/etc/passwd and group /etc/group do not match between computers. Once you've
made them match, you will need to retake ownership of any file or folder on
the system where you've changed the uid and gid. Also, after you've done that
you will need to re export your nfs mounts and restart start the relevant
services.

Eli

believed to be clean.