kwin/plasma slide-in effect

Robert Szalai robicjedi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:29:45 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I've observed that when some popups and most notably the kickoff menu
appear on screen it does try to slide in. The problem is that it looks
like a landslide, the background under the menu also slides and makes
a very distracting effect. It is also very slow.

Does anybody know whether there is a bug report about it, or any more
information so that I can try to fix it? (I don't want to start from
scratch.) Could it be a graphics driver bug? What I don't really
understand that how can desktop effect be much slower with KDE than
with gnome on the exact same hardware? Can somebody point me to the
right direction to figure this out?

Hardware is radeon rv730 (HD4670) on F13 fully updated using the mesa
7.8 drivers.

Thanks,
Robert