Fedora 13 KDE, switchdesk & system-switch-displaymanager

Art Wildman wildman at pobox.com
Tue Aug 10 05:42:31 UTC 2010

  Hi KDE list,
I like to install a few users & play with new desktops every few releases. I
actually prefer KDE & XFCE to Gnome, but as sysadmin I have to learn the default
gnome stuff. It's still nice to be familiar with a few other desktop
environments & I'm real impressed with the changes to KDE. Lots of COOL changes
since F11...

I have a new install of F13-64 & installed the yum groupinstall "KDE
Compilation", plus got the switchdesk packages, but could not switchdesk from
Gnome to KDE? As a regular user, the switchdesk gui would popup & KDE was
selected, but I was unable to get the user's desktop to switch after
restart-X/reboot & login again. It appeared to have created the proper .Xclients
files, but I'm not sure I remember the details now. I don't understand why it is
so difficult to switch from gnome to kde now in f13? The default Gnome GDM
doesn't have session menus either like it used to, to allow the user to pick
their session/desktop.

Finally I decided to  make KDM & KDE the system defaults & "yum install
system-switch-displaymanager-gnome" packages. Then ran
'system-switch-displaymanager KDM" and restarted runlevel 5. Ah, a nice familiar
KDM login with menus & session choices. Now when the user runs swtichdesk, the
changes take effect. ref: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE

Could someone please verify if there is a bug with switchdesk, or if it needs a
dependency to automatically get the system-switch-displaymanager packages to
work properly for avg users? It shouldn't be this hard to change the default
gnome desktop to kde? May be I'm doing something wrong... It doesn't make sense
that users should have to ask an admin to install KDM as the default to be
allowed to use switchdesk & get at their KDE desktop environment.

Also, it really bothers me the default GDM is so stripped down. The default
Gnome GDM, doesn't have a session menu anymore... only "Shutdown Options" button
in lower right corner <ick>. I really dislike the new GDM, & will definitely use
KDM with it's nice menu choices & left-center layout.

Thanks Rex & all on the KDE dev team, I've been a lurking a long time on this
list. - Cheers, Art Wildman