No more Fedora 13 on Toshiba laptop!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 22 17:13:21 UTC 2010

On Sunday 22 August 2010 13:24:49 Chris Smart wrote:
> 2010/8/22 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> > Without any warning or obvious reason, Fedora has ceased to function.  I
> > cannot get any graphical login.  kdm.log has huge numbers of lines like
>
> Boot to recovery mode/single user mode/runlevel 3 and create an X.org
> config file that uses vesa driver (i.e. run 'X -configure' and move
> that file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit it to make sure Video card
> section driver is set to "vesa"). Then boot to runlevel 5 (init 5) and
> see if it works.

Good idea.  Pity it didn't work.  Running X -configure xorg.conf.new gave me a
black screen.  Booting into run level 5 gave me a blue screen with dashes
across it.  Attempting to boot back into a run level 1 to get rid of it gave
me a black screen with the fan running like mad.  I don't seem to have any way
of getting in now.

Unfortunately, on this occasion I had installed from the Live CD.  I don't
have the DVD though I do have an F12 one.  Hopefully that will allow me to use
rescue mode to delete xorg.conf

KDE Community Working Group