No more Fedora 13 on Toshiba laptop!

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Sun Aug 22 22:44:19 UTC 2010

2010/8/23 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

> Good idea.  Pity it didn't work.  Running X -configure xorg.conf.new gave me a
> black screen.  Booting into run level 5 gave me a blue screen with dashes
> across it.  Attempting to boot back into a run level 1 to get rid of it gave
> me a black screen with the fan running like mad.  I don't seem to have any way
> of getting in now.

Try this:
When you boot your computer after POST, continually press the esc key
every half second until you get the GRUB boot menu.
With the top entry highlighted, press the "e" key to edit the line.
Select the kernel line and hit "e" again.

At the end of the kernel line, remove any of the words like "splash",
"quiet", "rhgb" - and *add* the words, "single nomodeset" - then hit
the enter key and then "b" to boot it.

Does that work? If so, try running "X -configure" from here and see if it works.

-c