KDE 4.5 libraries problem with Skype

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Tue Aug 31 01:14:51 UTC 2010

On Mon 30 August 2010 17:43:12 Manuel Escudero wrote:
> 2010/8/30 Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com>

> >> You haven't actually so far stated what the problem is you are having
> >> with skype. Only that it doesn't work. What i can say is it works fine
> >> here on F13 using qt 4.7 on x86_64. I just installed the standard
> >> Fedora rpms provided along with the i686 version of qt and the
> >> appropriate i686 pulseaudio libs. I forget exactly which one is needed
> >> but i have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 and pulseaudio-libs.i686
> >> installed currently.
> >>
> >> --
> >> There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
> >> and those who don't...
> >
> > Yep. It worked fine for me until I upgraded to KDE 4.5 my fedora 13
> > because of the new Qt libraries... I can't install 32 bit Skype's
> > dependencies on my Fedora 13 x86_64 KDE 4.5 because the Qt 32 bit
> > libraries that skype needs have conflicts with the newer ones, and if I
> > downgrade the Qt Libraries all my KDE 4.5 installation gets broken
>
> I've been investigating... is Fedora's problem, not skype... Fedora 13 does
>
> > not provide a 32 bit package for the qt libraries in their "1:4.7"
> > version, only a 64 bit one, at least
>
> in my package manager this is what I have, and I also have a 32 bit version
> but it's only of the "1:4.6" release... Hope you take this in count...
>
> New Libraries in both architechtures seem to be present in fedora 14 and
> RPMFind says in Fedora 15 too.

So, I'm going to try to ignore the personal attack which you sent me on the
Ambassadors list, and help you, since I think I know what happened after
thinking about it all afternoon...

I assume, since Qt4.7 and KDE4.5 aren't in Fedora's main repositories yet
(note that; you're using unofficial repositories provided by community
members!), that you're using builds from kde-redhat.sf.net... Correct me if
I'm wrong. If I'm not, in that case, the problem is that by default
applications and libraries in there arne't multilib'd, and that they aren't
kept in the same repository; there are different repositories for 32 bit and
64 bit.

I assume you don't have the kde-redhat 32 bit repo enabled. Looking at
/etc/yum.repos.d/kde.repo, the mirrorlist points to, for example
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/fedora/mirrors-testing, which are
mirrors like http://mirror.unl.edu/kde-
redhat/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/testing ... $basearch is of course
expanding to x86_64, leaving all the i686 packages unreachable in the kde-
redhat repositories.

So, take one of the mirrors in your mirrorlist, add a new entry to kde.repo
for each repo:

[kde-i686]
name=kde
baseurl=http://mirror.unl.edu/kde-redhat/fedora/$releasever/i686/testing
gpgkey=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/kde-redhat.RPM-GPG-KEYat
enabled=1

Note that none of these issues will exist when KDE Plasma Desktop and the KDE
Application Suite 4.5 are officially supported by us.

Oh, and that's the "proper" branding... KDE-promo intended the "KDE SC"
terminology to be an engineering term (not something for End Users), but it
caught on. There are two "products", the KDE Plasma Deskop, Plasma kwin etc,
and the KDE Application Suite, which is all the applications which are
developed by KDE, the community behind the products.

The KDE SIG is appreciative of all users' testing of KDE prereleases, but
there will always be complications involved, bugs, etc, and we appreciate all
feedback on the releases.

~r

--
Ryan Rix