Modular KDE?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 04:16:26 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 02:48:02 Chris Smart wrote:
> Never mind then :-) For people who just install the full KDE and are
> happy to run with that, it won't be particularly attractive. For those
> who install a base Fedora and build up what they want from there
> however, it's super awesome.

The idea makes sense in principle, and IIRC it was already proposed some time
ago. My memory on this is a bit vague, but I think the main response was that
splitting packages into more smaller ones would be a too big burden for
current undermanned Fedora KDE maintainers.

If you are willing to give them a hand and repackage 20 packages into 200
smaller ones and keep maintaining them all, I don't recall any arguments
against. Feel free to join the KDE SIG, talk to the maintainers about it and
help with the heavy-lifting. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko