Fedora 15 KDE 4.6 feature page, comments/feedback?

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 20:52:01 UTC 2010

2010/12/14 Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com>

> 2010/12/14 Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu>

> > > How about finally adopting the rebranding from over a year ago?
> > > "KDE 4.6"....
> >
> > Do you have a concrete suggestion?  Doing something like:
> > s/KDE 4.6/KDE Development Platform, Applications and Plasma Workspaces
> 4.6/
> > seems a bit excessive to me, but perhaps that is a better working title.
> >
> > -- Rex
>

> I like it, I seriously like it :D I'm in favor of changing the default
> phonon backend for VLC.
> With this, we will give support for a ton of formats more in the default
> players and if I'm
> not wrong, maybe we will experience a better user experience (sorry for
> being redundant)
>
> I'll suggest to integrate LibreOffice into the KDE Spin of Fedora and
> removing Koffice of it,
> because is a little annoying when you use OpenOffice most of the time, for
> me, Koffice is
> just a waiste of space in the LiveCD.
>
> Also it will be good to offer Double Click for default in what opening
> things refer and also
> it will be nice to disable the "session remembering" I believe most users
> like to start a fresh
> session every time they login into KDE.
>
> I believe, another good thing would be adding some extra KDE Apps, some
> apps that most
> users would like to see pre-installed, like Kmess, k3b and the Kipi
> Plugins. Maybe also
> an alternative browser to konqueror and/or rekonq, maybe chromium? (as
> gnome has FF)
>
> I think it would be great to keep offering a "CD fitable" ISO, (no more
> that 700MB) but if we
> are going to give a more "powered" KDE, I believe changing ISO size for 1GB
> would not be
> bad.
>
> In that case, I recommend to pre-install some apps by default in KDE spin,
> to make it more
> user friendly and ready for every day use, like:
>
> DESKTOP EXTRAS:
>
> kdeartwork kdebase-workspace-wallpapers kdeplasma-addons
>
> RECOMENDED APPS FOR EVERY DAY USE:
>
> audacious guvcview kmess pidgin gimp gparted sound-juicer xchat multiget
> k3b banshee
> xsane vlc kdenlive firefox unrar p7zip p7zip-plugins java-1.6.0-openjdk
> ntfs-config wine
> azureus tucan kid3 kipi-plugins java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin
>
> But that last request can be ignored, I'm just giving my opinion.
>
> Thanks and Good Job!! Keep Going!!
>
> --
> <-Manuel Escudero->
> Linux User #509052
> @GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
> @Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
> PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6

P.S. One last suggestion to complete my previous message: Maybe having the
KDE/RedHat repo
enabled by default in Fedora 15 for the KDE spin would be another good move.
What I'm suggesting
in few words is to give our KDE Spin a little bit of more personality, as is
the most popular spin, I believe
many users would like to have in Fedora's KDE version something more than a
Clean implementation of
KDE SC.

--
<-Manuel Escudero->