Screensaver security diff: 4.4->4.5 ?[WORKAROUND]

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Fri Dec 31 19:39:14 UTC 2010

On 12/31/2010 01:57 AM, Gene Smith wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed 4.5.4 (f14) and notice that there is no longer the
> ability to get out of the screensaver without a password after
> activating the screensaver by moving the mouse to the screen edge.
>
> With kde<=4.4 you could move the mouse to an edge point (as configured
> in the screensaver "advanced options" setting seen below the "monitor"
> that shows the screen saver as a small graphic) and the screensaver
> activates. When you move the mouse away from the edge the screensaver
> goes away without needing a password.
>
> With 4.5.x, after moving the mouse to an edge point the screen is locked
> (just like ctrl-alt-l) and a p/w is needed to get back.
>
> If the 4.5 screensaver is configured to not require a p/w to get out and
> it times out naturally, this works as it did in 4.4 and no p/w is needed
> to get out. However, this has no effect on the screen edge activation
> which always requires a p/w with kde 4.5.x.
>
> Note the "advanced options" as part of the screen saver is no longer
> present in kde 4.5.x (at least for the slideshow under Banners&  Pictures).
>
> With<=4.4 it was nice to be able to activated the slide show and see
> some pictures and then get back without needing a password. Now this
> feature seems to be removed in 4.5.
>
> -gene

Screensaver "Advanced" settings still present in
~/.kde/share/config/kscreensaver file. To get it to work like 4.4 did, I
set the contents like this:

[ScreenSaver]
ActionBottomLeft=0
ActionBottomRight=0
ActionTopLeft=0
ActionTopRight=1	#manually set this (old "advanced" setting)
Enabled=true
Lock=true
LockGrace=3600000       #wanted 1hr (3600s), max is 5min (300s) but OK
PlasmaEnabled=false
Saver=KSlideshow.desktop
Timeout=2400

In addition, I got set all "screen edge" lock actions to "no action".
Ctrl-alt-l still locks screen and needs p/w to return.