Switch User still broken

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 1 18:43:45 UTC 2010

Rex Dieter wrote:
> afaik, there is no standard here.  kde/kdm does it one way, gdm/gnome
> another.  And iirc, kde's user switching feature existed first, if it
> matters.

Right. KDE/KDM starts a new X display with the new user, whereas (as far as
I know) GNOME/GDM lets the new user take over the existing X display, which
is supposedly faster, but harder to implement. There's also ConsoleKit magic
involved in the G* implementation whereas for the K* one, the new X display
just gets registered as a new session with ConsoleKit by the regular KDM
ConsoleKit integration.

        Kevin Kofler