How to make konsole always start with fixed size?

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Tue Feb 9 05:14:18 UTC 2010

Gene Smith wrote, On 02/08/2010 10:59 PM:
> Is there a way to make konsole, and perhaps other programs too, always
> start with a fixed size? I have tried --geometry 80x20 on the command
> line but it ignores it. The new konsole always starts with the same size
> as the previously opened konsole was set to it seems. This is with kde4.x

Kept looking and this helps:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81242

However, a few details left out. For example, It seems to really get
konsole to open with a fix size you have to first open it and set the
desired size. Then right click on bar at top and select Advanced then
Application Specific Setting.

Then under Geometry I set

Size, Apply Initially
and
maximaize horizontally, apply initially
maximize vertically, apply initially
(Without these previously hor/vert max konsole caused next konsole to be
the same. Maybe a bug?)

The rest leave unchecked or at Do Not Affect

Then on workarounds tab
Strictly obey geometry, force
All others Do no affect.

This can also be done directly and edited with KDE Window Specific
Setting from Control Module.

Did similar thing for kfm/konqueror.

So now they work the way I want.

This is KDE 4.4 now from F12 unstable. Seems to be working great!