F12/KDE4.4: nepomuk related apps not starting

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:25:17 UTC 2010

Sebastian Vahl wrote:

> Anyone else seeing this?

Since updating yesterday, and after a reboot sometime in the evening, I am not able
to log in to KDE, only to Gnome. Dolphin and grewnview will not start and whenever I
try to run a KDE app, I see (while in Gnome) on the task bar that KNotify wants to
start, but I don't know if it does.

I wanted to downgrade the kdelibs, but the previous version is no longer inthe kde-
redhat repo. I have also suspected policycoreutils, that were released yesterday. I
am presently exploring that, and will see if a downgrade of policycoreutils will
allow a KDE login.

I looked into .xsession-errors and noticed a line stating that plasma-desktop could
not start (that is roughly where my login hangs, as I do see the splash screen and
all the way up to the last 2 dots, but the final 2 dots never happen and then it just
hangs). The message suggests that security might be preventing plasma-desktop from
starting, and the same message appears with a number of other apps, so this is why I
suspect possibly policycoreutils, since it was updated yesterday.