kontact does not start with 4.4RC3

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:14:08 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 February 2010 20:24:16 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> OK.... This should be my final report on this issue.
>
> The error messages I got were about the existence of old error logs. Once I
> removed them (again) and logged in and out I wasn't bothered again with
> Akonadi start up messages. This needs to be handled more gracefully in my
> opinion.
>
> Last Problem..... Nepomuk.... If Nepomuk is not activated with Strigi also
> activated then an error message appears saying that Nepomuk is not active
> and Akonadi doesn't seem to start properly.

Anyone who has problems getting Nepomuk/Strigi to work properly, try the
commands at
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Nepomuk_Indexing_Agents_have_been_Disabled

This removes the old database and restarts nepomuk.  Unfortunately you then
have to rebuild the database, but everything does work after that.  Apparently
it should only affect users who had already had virtuoso installed, so it was
thought that most people would be fine.

> Once active kontact work
> beautifully. However, other IO intensive apps are impacted badly by the
> indexing. How I worked around that was to uncheck any folder that was
> being indexed and everything seems to be working the way it should, except
> nepomuk (sorta defeats the purpose of nepomuk doesn't it). Does anybody
> know how to get nepomuk to stop indexing unless the system is idle or the
> screensaver is off?

Last night I decided to file a bug/wish for the ability to schedule indexing,
so that those of us with less than optimal hardware could index while the
system is idle.  Unfortunately bugs.kde.org was having problems.  I'll do that
today and post the number here, so that anyone interested can vote for it.

I did have to use the nepomuk tray icon to suspend indexing at one point
yesterday, though most of the time it didn't give me any problems.

KDE Community Working Group