kontact does not start with 4.4RC3

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sat Feb 13 17:36:14 UTC 2010

> Anyone who has problems getting Nepomuk/Strigi to work properly, try the
> commands at
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Nepomuk_Indexing_Agents_have_been_Disabled

> Last night I decided to file a bug/wish for the ability to schedule
> indexing, so that those of us with less than optimal hardware could index
> while the system is idle.  Unfortunately bugs.kde.org was having problems.
>  I'll do that today and post the number here, so that anyone interested
> can vote for it.
>
> I did have to use the nepomuk tray icon to suspend indexing at one point
> yesterday, though most of the time it didn't give me any problems.
>
> Anne

Thanks Anne for the info. Like I said, I got the Akonadi / Nepomuk / Kontact
combo to work. However.... the problems with Akonadi and Nepomuk show up with
relatively good hardware. Runnng x86_64 on 3Gig of Ram. This should be
plenty..... However... in my spare time. I play a game that I can only run
under wine. The game normally runs fine.... But now, with the requirement of
Nepomuk and Akonadi and when they are running I see the game slowing down
significantly.

Honestly, I think that the Akonadi / Nepomuk / Kontact combo is a great
idea... Potentially, it can give the Outlook / Exchange combo a serious run
for the money (of course, it depends on what you mean by money :)   ).
However, for a simple single desktop situation I don't see the point needing
to run mysql or indexing or whatever.... I have had the misfortune of seeing
MS's "Desktop Search" bring Windows to a screaching standstill (with good and
bad hardware). And while Nepomuk is nowhere near as bad, especially when
running just about everything. As a mater of fact, under the pure KDE desktop
environment it doesn't seem to have any noticeable impact at all. but when
running resource hungry apps like those under wine one tends to notice.

Dunno what can be done about it other than to make Akonadi something optional
with the ability to import into resources managed by Akonadi if Akonadi is
required by the user, but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It is a
real pain in the butt to have to disable my entire PIM; one component at a
time; to be able to play a game.

I have not had the opportunity to test this under a resource hungry "Linux"
game. I guess that that's going to be next on my agenda. Guess I'm gunno see
how it goes for awhile.

Thanks again for the info Anne

Eli

believed to be clean.