kontact does not start with 4.4RC3

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sat Feb 13 20:10:25 UTC 2010

On Saturday 13 February 2010 21:12:35 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 13 February 2010 17:36:14 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > Thanks Anne for the info. Like I said, I got the Akonadi / Nepomuk /
> > Kontact combo to work. However.... the problems with Akonadi and Nepomuk
> > show up with relatively good hardware. Runnng x86_64 on 3Gig of Ram. This
> > should be plenty..... However... in my spare time. I play a game that I
> > can only run under wine. The game normally runs fine.... But now, with
> > the requirement of Nepomuk and Akonadi and when they are running I see
> > the game slowing down significantly.
> >
> > Honestly, I think that the Akonadi / Nepomuk / Kontact combo is a great
> > idea... Potentially, it can give the Outlook / Exchange combo a serious
> > run for the money (of course, it depends on what you mean by money :)
> > ). However, for a simple single desktop situation I don't see the point
> > needing to run mysql or indexing or whatever.... I have had the
> > misfortune of seeing MS's "Desktop Search" bring Windows to a screaching
> > standstill (with good and bad hardware). And while Nepomuk is nowhere
> > near as bad, especially when running just about everything. As a mater
> > of fact, under the pure KDE desktop environment it doesn't seem to have
> > any noticeable impact at all. but when running resource hungry apps like
> > those under wine one tends to notice.
> >
> > Dunno what can be done about it other than to make Akonadi something
> > optional with the ability to import into resources managed by Akonadi if
> > Akonadi is required by the user, but that isn't likely to happen anytime
> > soon. It is a real pain in the butt to have to disable my entire PIM; one
> > component at a time; to be able to play a game.
> >
> > I have not had the opportunity to test this under a resource hungry
> > "Linux" game. I guess that that's going to be next on my agenda. Guess
> > I'm gunno see how it goes for awhile.
>
> Are you certain that the initial rebuild of the database was completed
> before you started the game?
>
> Checking the indexes seems to happen frequently, but fortunately doesn't
> take long, here.  As soon as someone has sorted out why the server is
> impossibly slow at the moment I'll file a bug about it.  I wouldn't be
> surprised to hear that they are already working on it - whether by
> scheduling, as I'd like to see, or some other means of quietening it.
>
> Anne

Thanks Anne.... The game slows down even when there is no indexing at all.
I've effectively disabled Nepomuk by unselecting everything. Nepomuk is
running, but it isn't doing anything other than taking up memory. The thing is
it probably isn't all that necessary and should be completely optional (IMHO).

Eli

believed to be clean.